Tuesday, December 14, 2004

I Just Need to Tell the World

Or at least my little world, the wait is driving me CRAZY!!

I am trying all they say to try. I am focusing on preparing for our child. I am doing things that have nothing to do with preparing for our child. I am trying to live out our last moments of freedom. Nothing works! I am still anxious. Wondering when will it happen? Will it be a boy or girl, will we get to meet the birthparents, will she choose us and then change her mind, what if we're in over our heads. Everyday the questions change.

Last night after spending a weekend of trying not to wait for baby, Cle and I attended a baby care basics class at a local hospital. It was FUNNY! We thought this would be a good way to spend our waiting time constructively. We knew everyone in the class would be pregnant which was fine. Everyone was HUGE and pregnant. Everyone was due in January and February. So we couldn't even try to blend in the class if we wanted to (I am no skinny Minnie but I dont look 8 months pregnant either!) so of course everyone is looking at us like "are they in the right place?"
Then nurse practitioner has us go around the room and introduce ourselves and due date. Cleveland gives me the "you speak for us" look I take my cue and cheerfully announce
"HI! We're Cle and Sylvia and we're due ANY DAY!"
Hilarious! Even the nurse practioner looked at me in utter confusion! After a brief pause I said "we just finished our adoption homestead and we are waiting to be matched with our baby, and we thought we would use our time constructively and learn how to actually take care of him or her!"

There were lots of wow and smiles and we felt more comfortable. It went great. This is the second class of this type that we have taken. It's not that I feel bad around pregnant people, or I have anything against them. I wouldn't begrudge anyone the joy of carrying a child just because I'm not. It's just that ometimes it's just weird being the only non pregnant person that's all, and then explaining our plans to adopt and being on defense for rude or inappropriate questions.

I guess we will have to field inappropriate questions for the rest of our lives in regards to adoption. I've heard stories from other adoptive parents and from group sessions we have been in through our agency. That is part of the purpose of this blog, to keep all of the important people educated. So I will keep you all posted as interesting things arise, and I try to stay SANE!

2 Comments:

Blogger TK said...

That's a totally cool way to help occupy the time while waiting! We're hoping to take an Inro to Korean Language class, if nothing else, it helps fill the days...

8:27 PM  
Blogger Chasing The Moon said...

Take a deep breath and hang in there, it will well worth the wait!! I remember how easy it is to beat yourself up with the "what-if's" and the agonizing sloweness of the whole process! When family and friends were/are pregnant I always felt like they talk past me or around me because they don't believe I'd understand what they were going through (pregnancy, birth, etc) You know, they probably are right, just as it's difficult for people who haven't been through the process of adoption even begin to understand what "we" go through. I have been blessed with two incredible little boys and I wouldn't have it any other way! Good Luck!

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Gavin is
Lilypie Baby PicLilypie Baby Ticker